Common names: calla lily; arum lily
Zantedeschia aethiopica (calla lily) is a perennial (family Araceae) found along the coast of California, in the North and South Coast Ranges, and in the San Francisco Bay area. Native to South Africa, calla lily is grown as an ornamental plant, and most invading populations are found near human habitations in coastal prairies and wetlands. Calla lily reproduces by bird-dispersed seeds and vegetatively via rhizomes, which may be spread by moving soil or garden cuttings. In western Australia and New Zealand, calla lily is an aggressive invader of riparian areas and pastureland.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed warning from downunder: The weed potential of selected South African plants in cultlivation in California. Randall, Roderick P.; Lloyd, Sandra G. (Sandy). Vol 11, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- 2002 Red alert! New introductions and recent expansions in California. Tu, Mandy; Randall, John M. (2002)
Other Zantedeschia aethiopica Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.