Common names: common Mediterranean grass; Old han schismus
Schismus barbatus (common Mediterranean grass) is an annual grass (family Poaceae) found mostly in disturbed areas and deserts. It is difficult to distinguish from its close relative Schismus arabicus. Both species contribute to the conversion of desert shrubland into annual grassland by carrying fire across open areas, where they ignite and kill native shrubs.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Invasive plants research at UC Riverside. Holt, Jodie S.. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Ecology and management of alien annual plants in the California desert. Brooks, Matt; Berry, Kristin. Vol 07, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Investigating anthropogenic stressors and the relationship with Schismus barbatus for the threatened Little San Bernardino Mountains Linanthus. Sweet, Lynn C. (2016)
- California’s fading wildflower legacy. Minnich, Richard A. (2004)
- Alien Grasses in the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts. Brooks, Matthew; Eesque, Todd C (1999)
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
- Fire ecology of exotic grasses in the California desert. Minnich, Richard A. (1995)
- Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. Minnich, Richard A. (1994)
Other Schismus barbatus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.