Common names: pincushion flower
Scabiosa atropurpurea (pincushion flower) is a herb/ (family Dipsacaceae) with red to purple flowers and narrow leaves found in the Central Valley and central and south coast ranges of California. It is native to southern Europe. It favors grasslands. It propagates by seeds which are dispersed by animals.
Cal-IPC Rating: Watch
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Risk Assessment
Plant Risk Assessment- An evaluation of the potential for a plant to be invasive in California.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- New weed alerts!. DiTomaso, Joe. Vol 13, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Scabiosa atropurpurea Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.