Synonyms: The Salvinia genus is a complex of closely-related aquatic ferns that are difficult to distinguish from one another: Salvinia auriculata, S. biloba, S. hertzogii, S. molesta
Common names: giant Salvinia; karibaweed; water velvet; African pyle; aquarium watermoss; water fern; koi kandy
Salvinia molesta (giant Salvinia) is a floating aquatic fern (family Salviniaceae) found in the lower Colorado River and its drainages in the Sonoran Desert, and in San Luis Obispo County, California. Giant Salvinia was originally introduced for use in aquaria and ponds. It grows in dense mats that may completely cover water surfaces, preventing water movement, increasing stagnation, and decreasing available oxygen. The thick mats exclude native plants, animals and recreationists while creating more habitat for mosquitoes. Giant Salvinia is listed as a federal and state noxious weed.Cal-IPC Rating: High?
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Postcards: Controlling weeds is a global issue. Cal-IPC. Vol 25, Issue 2
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Salvinia molesta: Quick response averts expensive eradication project. Winans, Bill. Vol 08, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Salvinia molesta Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.