Common names: glasswort; oppositeleaf Russian thistle
Salsola soda (oppositeleaf Russian thistle, glasswort) is an annual (family Chenopodiaceae) found in the San Francisco Bay region. Oppositeleaf Russian thistle is native to southern Europe and inhabits vernal pools, swamps, mudflats and salt marshes. It may form dense stands in estuaries, especially in disturbed areas or places where dredge soil is discharged. It is also widespread in undisturbed salt marsh areas in the southern San Francisco Bay. Oppositeleaf Russian thistle’s floating fruits act to distribute its seeds on tidal currents.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- More on Salsola soda. Baye, Peter. Vol 06, Issue 4
- The distribution of the non-native plant Salsola soda in San Francisco Bay: Summary of a thesis. Tamasi, Judi. Vol 06, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Salsola soda Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.