Synonyms: Retama monosperma; Spartium monosperma, Lygos monosperma
Common names: bridal veil broom
Genista monosperma (bridal veil broom) is an escaped ornamental plant in the family Fabaceae. Although it is currently invasive in only one population in San Diego County, Cal-IPC lists it as an alert species due to its invasiveness in other areas with climates similar to California. In six years, this one infestation spread in size from approximately 1 acre (4 ha) to 1980 ac (800 ha). Like Scotch and French brooms, bridal veil broom can produce thousands of seeds per plant that may then be carried long distances by birds.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
CDFA Rating: B*
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Recommended action on invasive ornamentals. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 1
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Richmond weed abatement ordinance. . Vol 07, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Genetic identity and phylogenetic relationships of invasive brooms in California. Kleist, Annabelle; Jasieniuk, Marie (2009)
Other Genista monosperma Information
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.