Synonyms: Cotoneaster pyracantha (L.) Spach
Common names: narrowleaf firethorn; slender firethorn; woolly firethorn
Pyracantha angustifolia (pyracantha, firethorn) is an evergreen shrub with bright red berries and spiny branches (family Rosaceae). They are commonly found in disturbed sites, along roadsides, and in coastal scrub, prairie, and riparian areas. Pyracantha species, which have bright red berries and green foliage, are a common ornamental plant that have escaped cultivation. The fruits of pyracantha are widely dispersed by birds, which may also nest in the bushes. However, successful new introductions are rare, especially in areas that do not provide the ideal cool, moist climate for pyracantha.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Pyracantha angustifolia Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.