Common names: Illyerian thistle
Onopordum illyricum (Illyerian thistle) is a biennial herb/ (family Asteraceae) with purple flowers and prickly toothed leaves found in the central coast ranges of California. It is native to southeastern Europe. It favors grasslands and riparian and bottomland habitat. It spreads via seeds equipped with fine hairs. The seeds spread via wind, water, wool, vehicles and clothing.
Cal-IPC Rating: Watch
CDFA Rating: -*?
Plant Risk Assessment
Plant Risk Assessment- An evaluation of the potential for a plant to be invasive in California.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Regional EDRR with Bay Area WMAs. Johnson, Doug; Valentine, Nicole (2022)
Other Onopordum illyricum Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.