Common names: olive
Olea europaea (olive) is a shrub or tree (family Oleaceae) with fleshy one-seeded fruits that are spread by birds and mammals. It is native to African, temperate regions of western Asia, and the Mediterranean region of Europe. Trees are characterized by having grey bark and thick, leathery broadly lanceolate leaves that are dark green above and grey below. Though commonly grown as a crop in California, olive has escaped and naturalized widely in southern California and the Central Valley where it can invade grasslands and shrublands. Gardeners should use caution planting olives near open space and consider seedless varieties of this species instead.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Control of invasive plants after the Scorpion Fire on Santa Cruz Island. Woolsey, Jay; Parker, Mike; Carter, Katy; Little, Annie; Cowan, Clark (2022)
- Controlling the Invasive Offspring of Historic Olive Trees on Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands National Park. Power, Paula; Roberts, James R.; Cowan, Clark; Rudolph, Rocky (2010)
- Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike (2004)
- The abundance and distribution of non-native woody species in Sacramento Valley riparian zones. Hunter, John C.; Sterling, John C.; Widdowson, William P.; Beedy, Edward C.; Stralberg, Diana; Nur, Nadav (2003)
Other Olea europaea Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.