Linaria dalmatica ssp. dalmatica
Synonyms: Linaria genistifolia ssp. dalmatica, Linaria dalmatica, Linaria dalmatica ssp. dalmatica, Antirrhimum dalmaticum
Common names: dalmatian toadflax, broad-leaved toadflax, wild snapdragon
Linaria dalmatica ssp. dalmatica (Dalmatian toadflax) is an herbaceous perennial that was introduced as an ornamental (Plantaginaceae Family). It can be found in disturbed open sites, fields, pastures, degraded rangelands, roadsides, agronomic and perennial crops. This weed is most commonly found in northern California, but can sporadically occur in other areas. Infestations often form large colonies, displacing desirable vegetation.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Prioritizing Regional Response to Invasive Plants in the Sierra Nevada. Brusati, Elizabeth; Morawitz, Dana; Powell, Cynthia. Vol 19, Issue 2
- “Dip-and clip”: A new treatment for herbaceous weeds. Erskine Ogden, Jennifer A.; Renz, Mark; Donaldson, Sue. Vol 14, Issue 4
- Fighting weeds in the Tahoe basin. Donaldson, Sue. Vol 11, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Controlling Linaria dalmatica at Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area. Hon, Chris (2016)
- Managing herbaceous perennials in the Tahoe Basin. Erskine Ogden, Jennifer A.; Renz, Mark J.; Norsworthy, Justin; Donaldson, Sue (2007)
- Forbs working group. Pirosko, Carri; Schoenig, Steve (2004)
- Getting the job done: Working within the regulatory environment at Lake Tahoe to manage weeds. Donaldson, Susan; West, Wendy; Taylor, Kirk (2003)
- The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1999)
- Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1997)
Other Linaria dalmatica ssp. dalmatica Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.