Synonyms: Hordeum leporinum, Hordeum glaucum Steud., Hordeum stebbinsii Covas
Common names: hare barley, foxtail, wild barley, wall barley, smooth barley
Hordeum murinum (hare barley or foxtail) is an annual grass with long awns (family Poaceae). Hare barley may have arrived in California with Spanish settlers and is more common than Mediterranean barley in disturbed, dry upland areas.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
- Use of fire to control French broom. Boyd, David (1995)
- Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. Minnich, Richard A. (1994)
Other Hordeum murinum Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.