Common names: licorice plant
Helichrysum petiolare (licoriceplant) is a shrub (family Asteraceae) found in forested areas and coastal scrub on the central coast, including the southern side of Mt. Tamalpais and the Monterey Peninsula. Licoriceplant is a landscape ornamental that has escaped cultivation, invading undisturbed habitats. It reproduces by seed and vegetatively from stem fragments.
The extent of its impacts are unknown, but it can grow to form dense stands that may crowd out native plants. Licoriceplant has been growing outside of cultivation for several decades, but these naturalized populations do not appear to spread very rapidly.
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Everlasting sleeper. Sigg, Jake. Vol 05, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike (2004)
- 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For…. Tu, Mandy; Randall, John M. (2003)
- Weed alert! New invasive weeds in California. Randall, John M. (1997)
Other Helichrysum petiolare Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.