Synonyms: Anabasis glomeratus
Common names: Halogeton
Halogeton glomeratus (halogeton) is an erect winter to summer annual with small fleshy leaves (family Chenopodiaceae). It can be found throughout southern California and in all counties bordering Nevada. It has also been reported from Siskiyou and San Diego counties. Halogeton is mainly found on disturbed arid sites in salt grass, salt desert shrub, mixed desert shrub, or pinyon-juniper plant communities. Halogeton is not an extremely competitive plant, but it can quickly invade disturbed or overgrazed sites, and it can prevent reestablishment of desirable species because it can lead to salt accumulation on the soil surface. It is poisonous to livestock.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1997)
Other Halogeton glomeratus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.