Synonyms: Eucalyptus maidenii subsp. globulus (Labill.) J.B.Kirkp.
Common names: blue gum; Tasmanian blue gum; blue gum eucalyptus; common eucalyptus; Southern blue gum; Victorian blue gum
Eucalyptus globulus (Tasmanian blue gum) is a tree (family Myrtaceae) found throughout California, but has primarily escaped to become invasive along the coast. It has effects on fire danger, native plants, and wildlife.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Revisiting bluegum eucalyptus: Cal-IPC proposes adjustments to its assessment. Wolf, Kristina. Vol 22, Issue 2
- Teaching weeds: California university invasive plant programs. Cole, Kristie; Molinari, Nicole. Vol 12, Issue 2
- The ecology and impacts of blue gum Eucalyptus in coastal California. Hayes, Grey. Vol 12, Issue 2
- CalEPPC Symposium ’97. Warner, Peter. Vol 06, Issue 1
- Lessons from the front: Taking stock to avoid surprises. Kelly, Mike. Vol 05, Issue 1
- Marin supervisors establish policy against non-natives. Griffith, Quentin. Vol 03, Issue 2
- Exotic pest plants of greatest ecological concern in California September 1994. Cal-IPC. Vol 02, Issue 4
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- A test of the herbicide Weed Slayer for the control of invasive plants. Thomas, Don (2020)
Other Eucalyptus globulus Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.