Synonyms: Ehrharta panicea SM., E. paniciformis Nees ex Trin., Panicum deflexum Guss., Trochera panicea Baill
Common names: panic veldtgrass; Ehrharta; Lamarck's ehrharta; panic veld grass; Stebbin's grass
Ehrharta erecta (erect veldtgrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) found along California’s coastline and in the southern Sacramento Valley. Erect veldtgrass is commonly found in disturbed areas, including riparian areas, scrub, grassland, woodland, urban areas and turf. This native to South Africa was cultivated in Berkeley and Davis in the mid-1900s as an experimental grass. It spreads rapidly and is known to out-compete native grasses and herbs. Erect veldtgrass causes more litter accumulation than native grasses and herbs do, which further inhibits native plant growth.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Ehrharta erecta: Sneak attack in the making?. Sigg, Jake. Vol 04, Issue 3
- What? Another Ehrharta? Oh, no!!. Brey, Claire. Vol 04, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Challenges and lessons learned in the Muir Beach wetland restoration project. LeBeau, Naomi (2020)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
Other Ehrharta erecta Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.