Synonyms: Echium branchyanthum Hornem., Echium cynoglossoides Desf., Echium densiflorum DC., Echium fastuosum auct. Non Dryander ex Aiton, Echium macrophyllum Lehm., Echium pallidum Salisb., a few others
Common names: pride-of-Madeira
Echium candicans (pride-of-Madeira) is a shrub (family Boraginaceae) found along the central and south coast of California, and in the San Francisco Bay region. This native to Madeira and the Canary Islands inhabits open coastal bluffs and hillsides. Pride-of-Madeira is a common landscape ornamental requiring a summer source of moisture in inland areas, but can escape cultivation in coastal regions. Little is known about the biology or invasiveness of pride-of-Madeira, but it appears to spread slowly into established native plant communities.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Echium candicans Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.