Synonyms: Cytisus patens L., Cytisus pendulinus, Cytisus welwitschii, Genista striata, Sarthamnus eriocarpus, Sarothamnus patens sensu Webb
Common names: Portuguese broom; hairy-fruited broom
Cytisus striatus (Portuguese broom) is a perennial shrub (family Fabaceae) found in the San Francisco Bay region, Peninsular Ranges and south coast of California. It is commonly found in coastal scrub and grasslands, where it is expected to continue to expand its range. Portuguese broom was introduced as a landscape ornamental, and is often confused with Scotch broom (Cytisus scoparius). Broom is unpalatable to most livestock except goats, so it decreases rangeland value while increasing fire hazards. These leguminous plants produce copious amounts of seed, and may resprout from the root crown if cut or grazed.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: B?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Recommended action on invasive ornamentals. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 1
- International broom initiative: A comprehensive broom and gorse biological control effort. CalEPPC. Vol 09, Issue 2
- Richmond weed abatement ordinance. . Vol 07, Issue 1
- Exotic pest plants of greatest ecological concern in California September 1994. Cal-IPC. Vol 02, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Genetic identity and phylogenetic relationships of invasive brooms in California. Kleist, Annabelle; Jasieniuk, Marie (2009)
- Trees and shrubs discussion group. Heath, Mark; Moore, Ken; Unger, Petra (2005)
Other Cytisus striatus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.