Common names: Bermuda grass; couch grass; devil grass; wire grass; vine grass; bermudagrass
Cynodon dactylon (Bermuda grass) is a low-statured, creeping, warm season perennial grass (family Poaceae) that is commonly planted in garden lawns and as turf. It is native to East Africa but has become a cosmopolitan weed in warmer regions around the world, where it tolerates a broad range of soil types and moister levels. Bermuda grass is distinguished by having slightly flattened stems, hairs that jut out at the leaf blade and sheath junctures, grey-green foliage, and an inflorescence comprised of a cluster of 2-6 spikes arranged radially from a single point. Plants reproduce both via rhizomes and seeds. Bermuda grass is fast growing and can out-compete native species, particularly in riparian areas.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
Other Cynodon dactylon Information
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.