Synonyms: C. pannosus Franch.
Common names: silverleaf cotoneaster; velvet cotoneaster
Cotoneaster pannosus (silverleaf cotoneaster) is an evergreen shrub (family Rosaceae) found along the central and north coast of California, as well as in the northern South Coast Ranges and the Transverse Ranges. Silverleaf cotoneaster, with white flowers and red fruits, was introduced from China as an ornamental plant, and has escaped cultivation. It is found in disturbed places, especially near residential sites, as well as undisturbed coastal scrub, grassland and forests. Each plant can produce thousands of fruits every year, which are distributed by birds, small mammals, water movement and human activities. Mechanical removal of the shrubs can provide good control, but follow-up is needed, as the plants may resprout from the roots.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Richmond weed abatement ordinance. . Vol 07, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike (2004)
Other Cotoneaster pannosus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.