Synonyms: Chrysanthemum coronarium, Glebionis coronarium
Common names: garland Chrysanthemum, crown daisy
Glebionis coronaria (crown daisy) is a flowering annual (family Asteraceae) found along the central and south coast of California. Crown daisy commonly invades riparian areas, coastal dunes, prairies and scrub. It is a common ornamental plant that escapes garden settings and easily invades disturbed areas. The seeds of crown daisies sprout very quickly after rain, even in relatively dry areas. Seedlings may grow to be up to five feet tall and may form dense stands that crowd out native vegetation. Dead plant mass can remain in place for many years, preventing native plants from recolonizing.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Are we making progress? A bird's-eye view of change in invasive plant cover in central-coastal Orange County. Burger, Jutta C.. Vol 27, Issue 2
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- The effect of invasive Chrysanthemum coronarium on a coastal sage scrub arthropod community in Southern California. Cook, Roy W.; Talley, Theresa S; Wang, Mona; Nguyen, Kim-Chi; Ruiz., Erick (2011)
- Forbs working group. Pirosko, Carri; Schoenig, Steve (2004)
Other Glebionis coronaria Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.