Common names: skeleton weed; devil's grass; hogbite; gum succory; naked weed
Chondrilla juncea (rush skeletonweed) is a perennial or biennial forb (family Asteraceae) and can be found scattered throughout California but is considered an uncommon weed. It can grow in disturbed soils of roadsides, croplands, especially irrigated grain fields, semi-arid pastures, rangelands, and residential properties. Plants are highly competitive for water and nutrients.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: A*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Eradicating knotweeds and other new invaders on California’s North Coast. Eberwein, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Weeds and climate resilience in Sierra meadows. Brusati, Elizabeth; Johnson, Doug. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Prioritizing Regional Response to Invasive Plants in the Sierra Nevada. Brusati, Elizabeth; Morawitz, Dana; Powell, Cynthia. Vol 19, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Hydrilla: A case study: The state of California’s noxious weed eradication programs. O'Connell, Ross A. (1997)
- Use of biologically based methods to control pest plants:Issues related to federal research, regulation, and implementation. Chornesky, Elizabeth A.; Palmer, Cynthia M. (1995)
Other Chondrilla juncea Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.