Common names: purple starthistle
Centaurea calcitrapa (purple starthistle) grows as an annual, biennial or perennial (family Asteraceae) in fields, roadsides, disturbed open sites, grasslands, overgrazed rangelands, and logged areas in the northern and central coast ranges of California. Centaurea species may produce allelopathic effects and are highly competitive with other plants, often displacing desired vegetation.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
CDFA Rating: B*
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Celebrating park stewards. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 2
- Eradication in the central Sierra. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Progress in the Sierra and beyond. Cal-IPC. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- Tracking eradication progress . Guise, Vince. Vol 21, Issue 3
- Results of the CalEPPC questionnaire at Symposium ’98 in Ontario. DiTomaso, Joe. Vol 06, Issue 4
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Early detection and rapid response: effective weed control at the landscape level. Farrell, Sharon; Patterson, Jesse; Kesel, Rachel; Brigham, Christy; Gregory, Nathan; Gardner, Leah (2020)
Other Centaurea calcitrapa Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.