Common names: slenderflower thistle; Italian thistle; multiheaded thistle; seaside thistle; shore thistle; winged plumeless thistle
Carduus tenuiflorus (slender flowered thistle) is a tall annual or biennial (family Asteraceae) located along the California coast and in the Central Valley and Sierra foothill grasslands. It is similar in appearance and habitat to Italian thistle (Carduus pycnocephalus), but is less widely distributed.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited?
CDFA Rating: C*?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Carduus tenuiflorus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.