Synonyms: Bromus abolini Drob., Bromus chiapporianus de Not. Ex Nyman, Bromus commutatus Schrad., Bromus cyri Trin., Bromus gedrosianus Penzes, Bromus japonicus ssp. anatolicus (Boiss. & Heldr.) Penzes, Bromus japonicus Thunb. ex Murr. var. porectus Hack., Bromus japonicus var. susquarrosus (Borb.) Savul. & Rays, Bromus multiflorus DC. ex Lam. & DC, Bromus patulus Mert. & Koch, Bromus pendulus Schur. Bromus unilateralis Schur., Bromus vestitus Schrad.
Common names: Japanese brome; Japanese chess
Bromus japonicus (Japanese brome, Japanese chess) is a cool season annual grass (family Poaceae) commonly found in Northern California. This grass out-competes native grasses in areas where grazing and fire have been reduced.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Bromus japonicus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.