Synonyms: Bromus distachya (L.) Link., Trachynia distachya (L.) Link
Common names: annual false-brome; false brome; purple false brome; stiff brome
Brachypodium distachyon (annual false-brome, false-brome, purple false-brome) is a winter annual grass (family Poaceae) that is locally abundant in certain areas of California, especially those with rocky soils.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Symposium tool sampler. Schohr, Tracy; Williams, Andrea; Norelli, Nicole; Newhouser, Mark. Vol 25, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- The hoe isn’t the only thing scuffling: Testing non-chemical control techniques for Brachypodium distachyon in serpentine and non-serpentine grasslands. Williams, Andrea (2017)
- Brachypodium invasion in California is facilitated by rhizosphere microbes. Aronson, Emma (2016)
- Grasses working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Meyer, Tanya (2004)
Other Brachypodium distachyon Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.