Synonyms: Echinopsilon hyssopifolius (Pallus) Moq., Kochia hyssopifolia (Pallas) Schrad., Salsola hyssopifolia (Pall.)
Common names: five-hook bassia; five horn bassia; five-horn smotherweed; hyssop-leaved echinopsilon; smotherweed; thorn orache;
Bassia hyssopifolia (fivehook bassia) is an annual herb (family Chenopodiaceae) found throughout California, except in high elevation areas in the northwestern region of the state and Sierra Nevada Mountains. It prefers wetland areas, alkaline habitats and disturbed places such as roadsides and fields. Fivehook bassia is acceptable forage for sheep in small amounts, but the foliage can be toxic in large quantities. The plant produces copious amounts of seed, but small populations can be controlled by mechanically removing plants before seed set. Mowing and grazing are not suitable control methods, as the plants commonly resprout from the base after such treatment.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
Other Bassia hyssopifolia Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.