Common names: wild oats
Avena fatua (wild oat) is a winter annual grass (family Poaceae) that is a common agricultural weed. It grows in most grassland sites within the state, particularly in sandy/poor soils, often on the road verges. It is one of the annual grasses that was introduced as a forage species and has replaced the native perennial grasses.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate?
CDFA Rating: None?
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Utilizing pathways of invader dominance to identify natives of concern. LaForgia, Marina (2021)
- Integrating weed control and trait-screened seed mixes to reduce the risk of postfire type conversion from coastal sage scrub to annual grasslands. Teller, Noah (2019)
- Alteration of nitrogen cycling processes by exotic annuals in a California grassland. Carey, Chelsea; Hart, Stephen C. (2011)
- The effects of Puccinia jaceae on yellow starthistle competition and growth. O'Brien, Jan; Tomaso, Joe Di; Kyser, Guy; Woods, Dale (2007)
- California’s fading wildflower legacy. Minnich, Richard A. (2004)
- Exotic plants in the Sonoran desert region, Arizona and Sonora. Devender, Thomas R. Van; Frlger, Richard S.; M., Alberto Burquez (1997)
- Fire controls yellow starthistle (Centaurea solstitalis) in California grasslands. Hastings, Marla S.; DiTomaso, Joseph M. (1996)
- Effects of exotic plants on three California ecosystems. Minnich, Richard A. (1994)
Other Avena fatua Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - Distribution map and records of this species in California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution map of this species in California with ability to determine regional priorities.
- EDDMapS - Distribution of this species in North America.
- Jepson Interchange - Information on this plant's taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Information on identification and distribution, with links to websites in individual states.