Synonyms: Myriophyllum asparagoides, Asparagus medeoloides, Dracaena medeoloides, Elachanthera sewelliae, Luzuriaga sewelliaea, Medeola asparagoides
Common names: bridal creeper; African asparagus fern; ornamental asparagus; smilax asparagus
Asparagus asparagoides (bridal creeper or African asparagus fern) is a rhizomatous perennial herb (family Liliaceae) found in riparian woodlands of California’s central and south coast. Asparagus asparagoides colonizes both disturbed areas and undisturbed native habitats, but its current distribution is very limited. Plant shoots can form dense mats that limit light levels and then die back in the summer, creating a fire hazard. Plant colonies may also form a dense tuberous mat underground, preventing other plants from accessing soil moisture and nutrients.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Weed warning from downunder: The weed potential of selected South African plants in cultlivation in California. Randall, Roderick P.; Lloyd, Sandra G. (Sandy). Vol 11, Issue 1
- Plant of potential concern: Asparagus asparagoides. Giessow, Jesse. Vol 09, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Forbs working group. Pirosko, Carri; Schoenig, Steve (2004)
Other Asparagus asparagoides Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.