Synonyms: Arctotheca calendula (infertile forms)
Common names: capeweed; South African capeweed; cape dandelion; cape gold
Arctotheca prostrata (sterile capeweed) is a rosette-forming plant (family Asteraceae) found in coastal prairies and as an urban escape in the San Francisco Bay area and California’s north, central and southern coast. The infertile type of capeweed is cultivated for use as an ornamental groundcover, and a fertile type has also been introduced. The infertile type is very competitive and can escape cultivation locally via creeping stolons, but fertile capeweed can spread faster, typically colonizing open or disturbed sites with exposed soil. Fertile capeweed is a major agricultural weed in Australia. New evidence suggests that the sterile and fertile forms are actually two separate species.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- Call for capeweed specimens (Arctotheca spp.). McKenzie, Robert J.. Vol 18, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Arctotheca prostrata Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- EDD MapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.