Synonyms: Arctotheca calendulacea (R. Br.) Lewin, Arctotis calendula L.; Cryptostemma calendulaceum (L.) R.Br
Common names: fertile capeweed
Arctotheca calendula (fertile capeweed) is a rosette-forming plant (family Asteraceae) found in coastal prairies of the San Francisco Bay area and California’s north coast. An infertile type of capeweed is cultivated for use as an ornamental groundcover, and a fertile type has also been introduced. The infertile type is very competitive and can escape cultivation locally via creeping stolons, but fertile capeweed can spread faster, typically colonizing open or disturbed sites with exposed soil. Fertile capeweed is a major agricultural weed in Australia. New evidence suggests that the sterile and fertile forms are actually two separate species.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate — Alert
CDFA Rating: A*
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Species ID Card
Invasive Species ID Card - To support field identification of early detection species, Cal-IPC has designed a set of Species ID cards that can be downloaded, printed double-sided, and trimmed to size.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
There are no newsletter articles associated with this species yet.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
There are no Symposium presentations associated with this species yet.
Other Arctotheca calendula Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- EDDMapS - North American distribution based on Early Detection and Distribution Mapping System.