Synonyms: Lychnis saponaria Jessen
Common names: bouncing-bet; bouncing betty; soapwort; goodbye summer
Saponaria officinalis (bouncingbet) is a perennial (family Caryophyllaceae) with vigorous rhizomes. Bouncingbet is cultivated as an ornamental or medicinal plant but has escaped gardens in various regions of the United States. In California, it is especially problematic near Mono Lake.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- None for this species.
Other Saponaria officinalis Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.