Common names: edible fig
Ficus carica (edible fig) is a shrub to tree (family Moraceae). Research is underway to determine which cultivars of fig become invasive.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Don’t sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Connick, Sarah; Gerel, Mike. Vol 13, Issue 2
- Exotic pest plants, Calif. Assoc. of Nurserymen, and CalEPPC. Bell, Carl E.; Evans, Mike; Wilen, Cheryl. Vol 09, Issue 1
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Ratay, S. and J. Knapp (2007). Figs and bridal creeper: Two stubborn weeds that require ingenuity. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2007. San Diego, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Holmes, K. A. and A. M. Berry (2007). Evaluation of herbicide application rates, soil residues, and off-target effects resulting from basal bark treatment of densely-stemmed groves of invasive fig trees with Garlon(R)4. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2007. San Diego, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2004). Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Dempsey, J. and W. Elliott (2005). Invasive plant control at California State Parks in the northern Sacramento Valley. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Heath, M., K. Moore, et al. (2005). Trees and shrubs discussion group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Hunter, J. C., J. C. Sterling, et al. (2003). The abundance and distribution of non-native woody species in Sacramento Valley riparian zones. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Knapp, J. (2004). A gardeners dream, a land managers nightmare: The spread of horticultural invasive plants into the wildlands of Santa Catalina Island. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Pirosko, C. and S. Schoenig (2004). Forbs working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Ficus carica Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.