Synonyms: Ehrharta panicea SM., E. paniciformis Nees ex Trin., Panicum deflexum Guss., Trochera panicea Baill
Common names: panic veldtgrass; Ehrharta; Lamarck's ehrharta; panic veld grass; Stebbin's grass
Ehrharta erecta (erect veldtgrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) found along California’s coastline and in the southern Sacramento Valley. Erect veldtgrass is commonly found in disturbed areas, including riparian areas, scrub, grassland, woodland, urban areas and turf. This native to South Africa was cultivated in Berkeley and Davis in the mid-1900s as an experimental grass. It spreads rapidly and is known to out-compete native grasses and herbs. Erect veldtgrass causes more litter accumulation than native grasses and herbs do, which further inhibits native plant growth.Rating: Moderate
- Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- USDA PLANTS database -
Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Gluesenkamp, D. (2003). Marin-Sonoma Weed Management Area: Putting the we in weed management. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Sanders, A. C. (1998). Invasive exotics in California: A perspective from inland Southern California. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '98. Ontario, CA.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Brey, C. (1996). What? Another Ehrharta? Oh, no! CalEPPC News. 4: 4-5.
- Sigg, J. (1996). Ehrharta erecta: Sneak attack in the making? CalEPPC News. 4: 8-9.