Synonyms: Ehrharta panicea SM., E. paniciformis Nees ex Trin., Panicum deflexum Guss., Trochera panicea Baill
Common names: panic veldtgrass; Ehrharta; Lamarck's ehrharta; panic veld grass; Stebbin's grass
Ehrharta erecta (erect veldtgrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) found along California’s coastline and in the southern Sacramento Valley. Erect veldtgrass is commonly found in disturbed areas, including riparian areas, scrub, grassland, woodland, urban areas and turf. This native to South Africa was cultivated in Berkeley and Davis in the mid-1900s as an experimental grass. It spreads rapidly and is known to out-compete native grasses and herbs. Erect veldtgrass causes more litter accumulation than native grasses and herbs do, which further inhibits native plant growth.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Ehrharta erecta: Sneak attack in the making?. Sigg, Jake. Vol 04, Issue 3
- What? Another Ehrharta? Oh, no!!. Brey, Claire. Vol 04, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Gluesenkamp, D. (2003). Marin-Sonoma Weed Management Area: Putting the we in weed management. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Sanders, A. C. (1998). Invasive exotics in California: A perspective from inland Southern California. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '98. Ontario, CA.
Other Ehrharta erecta Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.