Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Stipa_capensis.php
Stipa capensis (Mediterranean steppegrass or twisted-awned speargrass)
Stipa capensis (Mediterranean steppegrass or twisted-awned speargrass) is an annual grass (family Poaceae) found in the Coachella Valley of the Sonoran Desert. It has the potential to become widespread, and is already spreading rapidly in the Palm Springs area. If Mediterranean steppegrass does become more widespread, it has the potential to be a very serious fire hazard in California desert ecosystems. The sharp florets of the plant can injure animals, and may attach to their fur as a dispersal mechanism. This invasive grass may also decrease native wildflower abundance.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate - Alert
Cal-IPC Resources on Stipa capensis
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. (None for this species.)
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Stipa capensis.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- None for this species.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
Other Resources on Stipa capensis
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.