Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Saccharum_ravennae.php
Saccharum ravennae (ravennagrass)
Saccharum ravennae (ravennagrass) is a large perennial grass (family Poaceae) found in the Sonoran Desert and Sacramento Valley of California. It is also found in a number of other states throughout the country. Ravennagrass is sold in the nursery trade as a hardier alternative to pampas grass, since it can grow in cooler climates. Ravennagrass grows in moist places such as marshes and riparian areas, establishing itself easily in disturbed areas. It is spreading rapidly along Cache Creek in the Sacramento Valley.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate - Alert
Cal-IPC Resources on Saccharum ravennae
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Saccharum ravennae.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Saccharum ravennae.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- (1995). Weed alert! CalEPPC News. 3: 5.
- DiTomaso, J. (2006). New weed alerts! Cal-IPC News. 13: 4-5.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- DiTomaso, J. M. (2005). 2005 Cal-IPC weed alerts, new invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out forů. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Tu, M. and J. M. Randall (2003). 2003 Cal-IPC red alert! New invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out For. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
Other Resources on Saccharum ravennae
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.