Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Pyracantha_angustifolia.php
Pyracantha angustifolia, P. crenulata, P. coccinea (pyracantha, firehorn)
Pyracantha angustifolia P. crenulata, P. coccinea
Pyracantha angustifolia, P. crenulata, and P. coccinea (pyracantha, firethorn) are evergreen shrubs (family Rosaceae). They are commonly found in disturbed sites, along roadsides, and in coastal scrub, prairie, and riparian areas. Pyracantha species, which have bright red berries and green foliage, are a common ornamental plant that have escaped cultivation. The fruits of pyracantha are widely dispersed by birds, which may also nest in the bushes. However, successful new introductions are rare, especially in areas that do not provide the ideal cool, moist climate for pyracantha.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Pyracantha angustifolia P. crenulata, P. coccinea
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. (None for this species.)
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Pyracantha angustifolia P. crenulata, P. coccinea.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- None for this species.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Heath, M., K. Moore, et al. (2005). Trees and shrubs discussion group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
Other Resources on Pyracantha angustifolia P. crenulata, P. coccinea
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.