Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Nicotiana_glauca.php
Nicotiana glauca (tree tobacco)
Nicotiana glauca (tree tobacco) is a tree/shrub (family Solanaceae), which stands 10-20 feet tall and is short-lived. Tree tobacco was introduced to California about 100 years ago and is found growing up to 5,000 feet in disturbed soils, vacant lots, along roadsides, streamsides, and other riparian areas.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Nicotiana glauca
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Nicotiana glauca.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium.List of articles on Nicotiana glauca.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- DiTomaso, J. (1998). Results of the CalEPPC questionnaire at Symposium '98 in Ontario. CalEPPC News. 6: 4.
- Perala, C., D. A. Hoover, et al. (1993). Control of exotic plants in an herbaceous understory. CalEPPC News. 1: 4-6.
- Stein, E. D. and V. Vartanian (1997). Killing the beast: A cooperative approach for control of Arundo donax in the Santa Ana River watershed. CalEPPC News. 5: 4-6,8.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Hunter, J. C., J. C. Sterling, et al. (2003). The abundance and distribution of non-native woody species in Sacramento Valley riparian zones. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Oneto, S., J. M. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Control of tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca). California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Nicotiana glauca
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory - State database with information on resource management projects throughout California. Query by the species of interest.