Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Limonium_ramosissimum.php
Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale (Algerian sea lavender)
Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale
Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale (Algerian sea lavender) is a perennial plant (family Plumbaginaceae) that can be found in Southern California. An ornamental escape native to coastal Mediterranean, it grows in coastal areas and sand dunes. The plant reproduces by seeds which can retain the ability to germinate after two weeks floating in salt water.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Limonium ramosissimum
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale.
Cal-IPC News Articles
Cal-IPC (2008). Weed Alerts. Cal-IPC News. 16: 8.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Perlmutter, M., G. Archbald, et al. (2011). Eradicating Algerian sea lavender (Limonium ramosissimum) from San Francisco Bay wetlands. Cal-IPC 2011 Symposium. Tahoe City, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Cleave, A. and K. E. Boyer (2010). Effects of invasive Limonium ramosissimum on native salt marsh communities in a changing environment. Cal-IPC 2010 Symposium. Ventura, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
Archbald, G. and K. Boyer (2009). Evaluating the potential for spread of an invasive forb, Limonium ramosissimum, in San Francisco Bay salt marshes. Cal-IPC Symposium 2009. Visalia, CA, Cal-IPC.
Other Resources on Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Watching out for Invading Sea Lavender - An article by Bay Nature about Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provincale
- Bay Area Early Detection Network- article on the plant and how to distinguish it from native species.