Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Isatis_tinctoria.php
Isatis tinctoria (dyer's woad)
Isatis tinctoria (dyer's woad) is a winter biennial or short-lived annual herb/forb (family Brassicaceae). Plants are highly competitive and often grow in dense colonies. It can be found distributed among the Klamath, Cascade, and North Coast Ranges, northern & central Sierra Nevada, Modoc Plateau, and northern San Francisco Bay region. Dyer's woad is a noxious weed of rangeland, agronomic crops, and undisturbed natural areas.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Isatis tinctoria
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Isatis tinctoria.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Isatis tinctoria.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Brusati, E., D. Morawitz, et al. (2011). Prioritizing Regional Response to Invasive Plants in the Sierra Nevada. Cal-IPC News. 19: 4, 5, 10.
- Richardson, B. (2004). The A-rated north. Cal-IPC News. 12: 4-5,14.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Clines, J. (2005). Preventing weed spread via contaminated hay and straw. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
Other Resources on Isatis tinctoria
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.