Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Ficus_carica.php
Ficus carica (edible fig)
Photo courtesy Brianna Richardson
Ficus carica (edible fig) is a shrub to tree (family Moraceae). Research is underway to determine which cultivars of fig become invasive.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Ficus carica
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Ficus carica.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Ficus carica.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Bell, C. E., M. Evans, et al. (2000). Exotic pest plants, Calif. Assoc. of Nurserymen, and CalEPPC. CalEPPC News. 9: 9-10.
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2005). Don't sell a pest: A new partnership to prevent plant invasions through horticulture. Cal-IPC News. 13: 4-5,14.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Ratay, S. and J. Knapp (2007). Figs and bridal creeper: Two stubborn weeds that require ingenuity. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2007. San Diego, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Holmes, K. A. and A. M. Berry (2007). Evaluation of herbicide application rates, soil residues, and off-target effects resulting from basal bark treatment of densely-stemmed groves of invasive fig trees with Garlon(R)4. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2007. San Diego, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Connick, S. and M. Gerel (2004). Partnering to prevent invasions of plants of horticultural origin. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Dempsey, J. and W. Elliott (2005). Invasive plant control at California State Parks in the northern Sacramento Valley. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Heath, M., K. Moore, et al. (2005). Trees and shrubs discussion group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Hunter, J. C., J. C. Sterling, et al. (2003). The abundance and distribution of non-native woody species in Sacramento Valley riparian zones. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Knapp, J. (2004). A gardenerís dream, a land managerís nightmare: The spread of horticultural invasive plants into the wildlands of Santa Catalina Island. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Pirosko, C. and S. Schoenig (2004). Forbs working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Ficus carica
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.