Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Asparagus_asparagoides.php
Asparagus asparagoides (bridal creeper or African asparagus fern)
Asparagus asparagoides (bridal creeper or African asparagus fern) is a rhizomatous perennial herb (family Liliaceae) found in riparian woodlands of Californiaís central and south coast. Asparagus asparagoides colonizes both disturbed areas and undisturbed native habitats, but its current distribution is very limited. Plant shoots can form dense mats that limit light levels and then die back in the summer, creating a fire hazard. Plant colonies may also form a dense tuberous mat underground, preventing other plants from accessing soil moisture and nutrients.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Asparagus asparagoides
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Asparagus asparagoides.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Asparagus asparagoides.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Randall, R. P. and S. G. S. Lloyd (2003). Weed warning from downunder: The weed potential of selected South African plants in cultlivation in California. CalEPPC News. 11: 4-6.
- Giessow, J. (2000). Plant of potential concern: Asparagus asparagoides. CalEPPC News. 9: 7-8.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Ratay, S. and J. Knapp (2007). Figs and bridal creeper: Two stubborn weeds that require ingenuity. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2007. San Diego, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Knapp, J. (2004). A gardenerís dream, a land managerís nightmare: The spread of horticultural invasive plants into the wildlandsof Santa Catalina Island. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- Pirosko, C. and S. Schoenig (2004). Forbs working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Asparagus asparagoides
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.