Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Anthoxanthum_odoratum.php
Anthoxanthum odoratum (sweet vernalgrass)
Anthoxanthum odoratum(sweet vernalgrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) that grows in hay fields, roadsides and along ditches. Sweet vernalgrass is locally common in coastal grasslands in northern California, particularly along the coast.
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Anthoxanthum odoratum
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Anthoxanthum odoratum.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. (None for this species.)
Cal-IPC News Articles
- Young, S. L. (2002). Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. CalEPPC News. 10: 5-7.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- None for this species.
Other Resources on Anthoxanthum odoratum
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- The Nature Conservancy Management Summary - Information compiled by TNC land managers. Photos included for some species.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.