Leave a Legacy

For all of us who believe in protecting our natural world, planned giving can make a difference that will last. By leaving a gift in your will or trust or by beneficiary designation, you help preserve California’s wildlands for generations to come.

Gifts in a Will

Limonium spray

Your Legacy Gift to Cal-IPC will support our work for generations. Photo: Ron Vanderhoff

A gift in your will or trust is one of the easiest and most popular ways to remember Cal-IPC in your estate. It takes just a few sentences in your will to set up a gift.

  • general bequest leaves a gift of a stated sum of money in your will or trust, typically personal property or assets.
  • specific bequest leaves a specific dollar amount or stated fraction of your estate or a specified gift of property.
  • residuary bequest leaves a gift of a percentage of the “rest, residue and remainder” of your estate after other bequests, debts and taxes have been paid.
  • contingent bequest leaves a stated share of your estate, only if a spouse, partner, family member or other beneficiary does not survive you. Example: “In the event of the death of the beneficiaries… (see sample language below)”

Sample Language: “I give ________ [amount or percentage] to California Invasive Plant Council, a California nonprofit corporation, located at 2550 Ninth St, Berkeley, CA 94710, Tax ID 68-0289333.”


Gifts by Beneficiary Designation:

An easy way to ensure that Cal-IPC’s work for the future is to make a gift of retirement assets. It’s as simple as requesting and signing beneficiary forms from your plan administrator. You will continue to earn income from these funds through your lifetime. You may wish to provide for your family through your will and make charitable gifts with the residual funds in retirement accounts because of the potential tax savings for your heirs.

Other ways to make a legacy gift through beneficiary designations include:

  • Life Insurance Plans
  • Remaining Assets in Donor-Advised Funds
  • Certificates of Deposit, Bank and Brokerage Accounts, Savings Bonds