Stipa miliacea var. miliacea
Synonyms: Piptatherum miliaceum; Agrostis miliacea L., Oryzopsis miliacea
Common names: smilo grass; bamboo grass; milo; ricegrass; rice millet; millet mountain-rice; San Diego grass
Stipa miliacea var. miliacea (smilograss) is a tufted perennial grass (family Poaceae) that thrives in dry or moist sites in disturbed areas, along roadsides and ditches. It can be found scattered along California’s coast and central valley and appears to be increasing in riparian areas and canyons, especially in southern California.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- The volunteer contribution. Cal-IPC. Vol 22, Issue 2
- Jepson Manual 2nd ed. invasive plant name changes. Brusati, Elizabeth. Vol 20, Issue 2
- New weed alerts!. DiTomaso, Joe. Vol 13, Issue 4
- An island called Santa Cruz: Removing invasives on the Channel Islands. Owen, Ken. Vol 12, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- DiTomaso, J. M. (2005). 2005 Cal-IPC weed alerts, new invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out for . California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Dudly, T. (2003). Riparian invaders: A multi-species approach. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Thomsen, C. D., W. A. Williams, et al. (1996). Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
Other Stipa miliacea var. miliacea Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.