Common names: California burclover; burr medic
Medicago polymorpha (California burclover) is a perennial/annual forb/herb (family Fabaceae) found throughout California in disturbed areas such as pastures, roadsides and vacant lots. Although it is considered good forage for livestock in pastures, it can out-compete native species in natural areas. Despite its name, California burclover is native to the Mediterranean.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Quinn, L., B. Davis, et al. (2006). Does horse manure harbor invasive plants? Cal-IPC Symposium. Rohnert Park, CA.
Other Medicago polymorpha Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.