Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provinciale
Common names: Algerian sea lavendar
Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provinciale (Algerian sea lavender) is a perennial plant (family Plumbaginaceae) that can be found in Southern California. An ornamental escape native to coastal Mediterranean, it grows in coastal areas and sand dunes.
The plant reproduces by seeds which can retain the ability to germinate after two weeks floating in salt water. Currently only the provinciale subspecies is listed on our Inventory. However, many collections recorded in California have not included a subspecies. Also, the Limonium species along the southern California coast may actually be Limonium duriusculum rather than L. ramosissimum.
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management NotesNo Weed RIC Management Notes are available for this species. Check for information on other species in the genus on the Weed RIC site.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 25, Issue 2
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 25, Issue 1
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Protecting San Francisco Bay salt marshes from invasive sea lavender. Whitcomb, Amy. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Wildland Weed News. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 2
- Protecting San Diego wetlands. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Activism vs. managerialism. Johnson, Doug. Vol 23, Issue 2
- Progress removing Algerian sea lavender. Perlmutter, Mike. Vol 21, Issue 3
- Staying “on label” in tidal waters. Thomson, David. Vol 21, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- Assessing spatio-temporal changes of invasive Limonium ramosissimum in San Francisco Bay wetlands. Kalchmayr, Kerstin (2017)
- Controlling Algerian sea lavender in San Francisco Estuary tidal marshes. Kerr, Drew (2017)
- Controlling Algerian sea lavender and assessing marsh vulnerability. Kerr, Drew (2016)
- New and expanding weeds in California. Kelch, Dean (2012)
- Eradicating Algerian sea lavender (Limonium ramosissimum) from San Francisco Bay wetlands. Perlmutter, Mike; Archbald, Gavin; Boyer, Kathy (2011)
- Effects of invasive Limonium ramosissimum on native salt marsh communities in a changing environment. Cleave, Autumn; Boyer, Katharyn E. (2010)
- Evaluating the potential for spread of an invasive forb, Limonium ramosissimum, in San Francisco Bay salt marshes. Archbald, Gavin; Boyer, Katharyn (2009)
Other Limonium ramosissimum ssp. provinciale Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.