Synonyms: Bassia scoparia, Bassia sieversiana, Chenopodium scoparia, Kochia alata, Kochia parodii, Kochia sieversiana, Kochia trichophila, Kochia virgata
Common names: kochia; belvedere; belvedere-cypress; fireball; fireweed; Mexican burningbush; mock cypress
Kochia scoparia (kochia) is a summer annual forb/herb (Family Chenopodiaceae) found most commonly on saline soils of California’s Central Valley, southern desert, and coastal growing areas.Cal-IPC Rating: Limited
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- Feed the birds, but don’t spread weeds. America, Weed Science Society of. Vol 17, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
- None for this species.
Other Kochia scoparia Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- CalFlora - Distribution information based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.