Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Piptatherum_miliaceum.php
Piptatherum miliaceum (smilograss)
Piptatherum miliaceum (smilograss) is a tufted perennial grass (family Poaceae) that thrives in dry or moist sites in disturbed areas, along roadsides and ditches. It can be found scattered along California's coast and central valley and appears to be increasing in riparian areas and canyons, especially in southern California.
Jepson Manual, 2nd Edition: Stipa miliacea var. miliacea
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Limited
Cal-IPC Resources on Piptatherum miliaceum
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Piptatherum miliaceum.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Piptatherum miliaceum.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- DiTomaso, J. (2006). New weed alerts! Cal-IPC News. 13: 4-5.
- Owen, K. (2004). An island called Santa Cruz: Removing invasives on the Channel Islands. Cal-IPC News. 12: 4-5,13.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Clines, J., J. DiTomaso, et al. (2004). Grasses working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
- DiTomaso, J. M. (2005). 2005 Cal-IPC weed alerts, new invasions, recent expansions, and a few others to be on the look-out forů. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2005. Chico, CA.
- Dudly, T. (2003). Riparian invaders: A multi-species approach. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2003. Kings Beach, CA.
- Thomsen, C. D., W. A. Williams, et al. (1996). Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. California Exotic Pest Plant Council Symposium '96. San Diego, CA.
Other Resources on Piptatherum miliaceum
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.