Source: California Invasive Plant Council
URL of this page: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Chrysanthemum_coronarium.php
Chrysanthemum coronarium (crown daisy)
Chrysanthemum coronarium (crown daisy) is a flowering annual (family Asteraceae) found along the central and south coast of California. Crown daisy commonly invades riparian areas, coastal dunes, prairies and scrub. It is a common ornamental plant that escapes garden settings and easily invades disturbed areas. The seeds of crown daisies sprout very quickly after rain, even in relatively dry areas. Seedlings may grow to be up to five feet tall and may form dense stands that crowd out native vegetation. Dead plant mass can remain in place for many years, preventing native plants from recolonizing.
Jepson Manual, 2nd Edition: Glebionis coronaria
Cal-IPC Inventory rating: Moderate
Cal-IPC Resources on Chrysanthemum coronarium
- California Invasive Plant Inventory Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
- CalWeedMapper - Statewide maps, climate models, and reports.
- Species account from Invasive Plants of California's Wildlands - Includes biology and management information.
- Cal-IPC News - Articles from our quarterly newsletter. Each issue is available as a pdf. List of articles on Chrysanthemum coronarium.
- Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings - Presentations and papers from our annual Symposium. List of articles on Chrysanthemum coronarium.
- Don't Plant a Pest! - Select your region to find non-invasive alternatives to ornamental species. Also see our statewide brochure on trees.
Cal-IPC News Articles
- None for this species.
Cal-IPC Symposium Proceedings
- Tuttle, E., K. Johnston, et al. (2011). Evaluating distribution and prevalence of non-native vegetation percent cover in a Southern California wetland and its application to inform habitat restoration and non-native vegetation control. Cal-IPC 2011 Symposium. Tahoe City, CA, California Invasive Plant Council.
- Pirosko, C. and S. Schoenig (2004). Forbs working group. California Invasive Plant Council Symposium 2004. Ventura, CA.
Other Resources on Chrysanthemum coronarium
- USDA PLANTS database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from the UC Berkeley Jepson Herbarium.
- CalFlora - Distribution information by county based on submitted observations and herbarium specimens.
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.